Request a late drop, withdrawal (“W” grade) or retake credit

​For Students

We understand that students sometimes miss the deadlines for dropping or withdrawing from a class due to extenuating circumstances. If you missed the refund or withdrawal deadline for your classes, and your extenuating circumstances resulted in you failing the course, you may be eligible to appeal for a late drop, withdrawal (W) grade or retake credit. We are unable to grant appeals if you missed a drop or withdrawal deadline, remained in a course, and earned a passing grade (1.0 to 4.0).

In order to qualify, ​you must meet one of these extenuating circumstances:

  • Lengthy student illness or hospitalization
  • Mandatory schedule change at work
  • Death of immediate family member
  • Military deployment
  • Other situations will be considered on an individual basis

When completing this request, you must: 

  • Specify what type of resolution you hope to receive. Learn more about the types of resolutions. If you receive financial aid, keep in mind that some resolutions may not be available to you. For example, students receiving Pell grants are not eligible for retake credits.
  • Provide documentation that supports the request.  For example:  a letter from your doctor, or a copy of an obituary or death certificate​.
  • If you are receiving a loan, grant, or scholarship) check with Financial Aid to make sure you understand what will happen to your aid as a result of your request. If you receive a late drop or withdrawal ("W") grade, it may impact ​your ability to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards or may result in you owing money back to the college.

Appeals for Extenuating Circumstances must be completed in a timely fashion:

  • For semesters prior to and including Spring 2017, students have one year to file their appeals. For example, a student appealing a Fall 2016 course would need to have his/her appeal filed by the last day of classes for the Fall 2017 semester.
  • Starting with Summer 2017 courses and beyond, students will need to file their appeals according to the schedule listed here:
    • Appeals from any fall semester would need to be filed on or before of February 15 the following calendar year. For example, an appeal from Fall 2017 would need to be submitted on or before February 15, 2018.
    • Appeals for any winter semester would need to be filed on or before June 15 of the same calendar year.
    • Appeals for spring/summer sessions would need to be filed on or before September 15 of the same calendar year.
report, review, resolution
SC aware

Emergency Situation:
Call 911
Call 8-911 (from any campus phone)

Schoolcraft College Police Department:
Call x4424
(from any campus phone)

Call (734) 462-4424
(from a cell or public phone)

to Top