Student Guide to Placement Testing
Students entering Schoolcraft College may submit ACT scores or college transfer credit demonstrating their ability in reading, writing and math, or they may take a placement test in the Testing Center. No appointment is necessary. Anyone who took a placement test at another college can provide the Counseling Office with a copy of their test scores. These test scores should be within the last 3 years and must be approved by Counseling.
Placement testing is a service provided by Schoolcraft College to determine placement into Schoolcraft classes only. Your placement scores will not be provided to other institutions. If you need to enroll at another school, please contact them to make arrangements to take their placement test.
- To insure proper course placement, testing is mandatory for all new students who have not taken the ACT or SAT.
- Placement tests measure skill accomplishment in English, math, and reading.
- Scores indicate skill levels only; there is no passing or failing.
- Placement testing is offered on a walk-in basis.
- Allow approximately 2½ hours for testing.
- There is no charge for initial testing; however, retakes are $5 per subtest.
Accuplacer/CPT is a computerized assessment test that will provide information about your level of skill accomplishment in reading, writing and one of three levels of mathematics. Assessing your ability in these areas will help you and your advisor or counselor determine college courses most appropriate for you.
You will take the test on a computer. A Test Administrator will be available if you have any questions during the test. The test instructions are easy to understand. You will use the keyboard or the mouse to enter your answers and supply other information.
Most questions are multiple choice. Tests are untimed so you can give each question as much thought as you wish.
Placement Testing (Accuplacer) Sample Questions